Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Well, this is it.

Here's the story (or at least the beginning of the story):

My wife and I purchased a "fixer-upper" with the hopes of doing some extensive repairs and build equity quickly. We felt this was the only way we could get into the real estate market, now that prices are sky-high and continuing to soar. Even this house was grossly overpriced - and we got it at a tremendous discount from its asking price.

Much to our dismay, the extent of the damage was far worse than we anticipated. We knew that some of the house was sinking and would need to be shored up. Unfortunately, beds and other furniture concealed the fact that all 4 corners of the house were sinking, and one whole side of the house needed a footing poured and new pier structures for a firm foundation.

We also knew that there would be some mold, termite and dry-rot damage, but we didn't know we would have to practically re-frame an entire wall.

And the bathroom? Well... I'd rather not talk about it. Let's just say that pulling a suspicious plastic bag out of the toilet helped the flushing problem, but it didn't do anything for the rotten floor.

Am I complaining? I hope not. God has has taken me to the brink of anxiety and back in these last few days. Right now, I am trusting that these extra expenses, and the time living in an RV in the backyard, will all be instruments in my life that God uses to prove Himself and His rich mercy to me and my family.

I won't keep you waiting any longer. Here's a few pictures of the house. I'll save the "demolition and discovery" story for later, but keep in mind that I've pulled out the carpet and removed pieces of the siding since I've owned it these few short days.


Small isn't it? It is the most run-down, dilapidated house within three blocks. While taking this picture, I am standing on the sidewalk of the new community center that dwarfs my home.



Another view...


This wall (where the stairs are) needs to be jacked up and have a new footing poured. Does anyone know how to do this?! HELP!!!


This is the back of the house (the kitchen wall and bathroom walls). At least the kitchen wall needs to be replaced (re-framed). I may need more replaced, as I expose the house more. Yikes.

Oh yeah... There is a story about the toilet. It is sitting there for two reasons: 1. I was fixing it and it's resting over a sewer pipe so I could test flushing it (with help from the garden hose). 2. Because I think it's funny. Because of where it's at, it is theoretically perfectly functional now.


I think it's amazing that this house was falling apart, but the former residents still managed to pay for satellite service.

...sigh... I've only had it one week, and I can't begin to tell the stories about this property that I've learned from the neighbors. I guess I'll be busy blogging, when I'm not weilding a hammer...

Drop a comment, encouragement or a "What were you thinking?!?!"

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i will be gone until the 11th after tomorrow...but PLEASE call me if you need any help that a girl can do! :o) painting, babysitting..you know :o)

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Mr. Moses:
My husband Randy had to be resuscitated after looking at the pictures of the house. File this into the "what were you thinking?" bin.
Best of luck!
Vicki
p.s. Let us know how we can help!

8:37 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Vicki, let's hope this is better than the meat purchase (by the way, I still have alot of meat, and I will be BBQ-ing a bunch this weekend to feed the workers from church).

Tell Randy that if he's bored this weekend to come on down. I have plenty of ideas on how he can help!

8:59 PM  
Blogger dwight_house said...

Phil,
Looks like you have a lot to work to do. I wish that I could be there to help you. I won't tell you "what were you thinking", like vicki did, but I will say that with God ALL things are possible, even refooting a house.

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the AFTER pictures (as I'm sure you are too!). Praying for lots of skilled volunteers to come alongside. This is an exciting journey!

10:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Philip,

My wife showed me the pictures of your new project. We are former SLO residents, and Grace attendees. My wife and I met in the college group, and have family at Grace. We are in the middle of building a new log house ourselves, with a toddler and a new baby as well. We totally understand! If our whole church helped on one weekend the project would be finished! Hang in there, the end is worth it! The Scholls greenstrings@joimail.com

9:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What in the World?"

4:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"What in the World?"

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home